City’s owner JanuszOstroski found the church and monastery of Bernardins in 1614,Zaslavski, Sangnushky and Lyubomyrski families continued the construction. The location of the church and the monastery on the edge on the town increased its defence capability. A strong bell tower had guard and defence functions. There was a garden with fruit trees in the eastern part of the monastery. Apart from the buildings within the monastery’s estate, it also had houses beyond the fence. A wooden house was located on the north, it was a so-called “brewer”, which was a Brewery. From the southern side which takes you to the downtown, there was a hospital for homeless.
In the second part of the ХVІІІ century, a couple of rococo-style altars were built there. Pupils of a famous carving artist, Lviv sculptor Johann Pinsel, a Ukrainian Michelangelo, took part in creating these altars. Tombs of noble families like Lyubomyrski, Illinski, Frankivski were located in the dungeons of this cathedral. Gogol described an underground passage, which led from defence ditch to the crypt of the church in his “TarasBulba”.
In 1855, the church became an Orthodox Saint Nicolas Cathedral. In 1909 it was removed to a newly built Saint Illinska Church, a women’s Orthodox monastery was set in the Bernardins buildings.
When Poland governed the region in 1921, the Bernardins returned here, and in 1928 they left the monastery. Then, a spiritual seminary of the Byzantine Slavicrite was found here.
After World War II, a plant of artistic small ware was set here. The façade of the monastery was extremely changed. A warehouse was also set there.
Since 1993, it is a Saint Nicolas Cathedral.
Length: 50.41880766830062 Width: 25.73468110045178